What is fahari yetu?
fahari yetu – Southern Highlands Culture Solutions is a European Union funded programme supporting sustainable community development and poverty alleviation in the Southern High lands of Tanzania through conservation, management, commercialization and promotion of cultural heritage resources.
In pursuit of its general aims the programme draws on the five (5) strategic objectives of UNESCO’s World Heritage Committee for world heritage development:
- Credibility through academic research activities;
- Conservation through archiving and public exhibition;
- Capacity Building through local expertise development;
- Communication, business development and promotion;
- Community Involvement through outreach and empowerment measures.
The five C’s are stylised in in the fahari yetu project logo being entangled in the colours of the United Republic of Tanzania.
Expected results of the programme
- Representative cultural resources are documented, mapped and interpreted to conserve the heritage of Iringa Region
- Cultural sites and products are physically accessible through public exposure and display
- Local cultural heritage is sustainably commercialized and marketed
- A competitive academic and entrepreneurial workforce in heritage and tourism management is established in Iringa Region
- Environmental, social and economic benefits are realized by local communities through conserving, and utilizing cultural heritage resources